Thursday, January 17, 2008

The (Nude) Queen's Speech

This morning... okay, I lie, this afternoon... I woke up blushing furiously, the product of dreaming I was naked in public. Can't quite remember the details now, but we've all had the dream I'm talking about. And it got me thinking, being naked wasn't always embarrassing...

When I was younger, I was quite the exhibitionist... even going so far as to be a member of the imaginatively named 'Nudie Gang' when I was about 4-5 years old. I remember it so well and it still makes me laugh to this day. The Nudie Gang's activities consisted of waiting until my mother had friends over for tea/dinner/wine etc... then gathering all the neighbourhood kids, commanding them to strip, and then bursting into the kitchen and dancing around the kitchen table until my mortified mother managed to shoo us all away. There was even a hierarchy... of course I was in charge, and this warranted me to wear a dressing gown whilst addressing my naked troops of parental embarrassment... heaven forbid the leader caught a chill.

So where did the shame come from? And why? I'm groggy (having just woken at 2pm, yes I know, I live the dream) but I want answers dammit.... if anyone has any interesting articles or studies on the topic, I can't seem to find any so throw 'em my way.

Well, I'm off.... time for my very adult and sophisticated morning coffee chocolate milk. Where's my monocle?

1 comment:

PaddyInEngland said...

that just really made me laugh and then cough and then cough a bit more and then one of the guys in work hit me on the back and then i was ok.