Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My blowhole explained!

Was having dinner with my mother last night, when she started to tell me about her neighbour's kid who has a cyst in the roof of her mouth. I replied to my mother that I have a hole in the roof of my mouth that connects to my nose. She was surprised I'd never told her and to be honest so was I. I've had it for as long as I can remember, and while I know it's not normal, it doesn't give me any trouble so I had never thought to mention it to her.


In fact, I love my little blowhole. It's as if someone stuck a pin up through the roof of my mouth to my nasal cavity, and when I suck on it air comes down and it makes this nifty little squeaking sound. Which was particularly handy in school for driving the teachers crazy because it sounds like a mouse and they could never figure out where it was coming from. I hold myself soley responsible for the already a tad loopy Ms. Davin losing the plot completely. (She was convinced I was stealing oranges from her handbag every day and hence put, IN HER OWN WORDS, "the Davin family curse on me"... she deserved it.) Also made it kinda hard to shake my unrelated but fitting nickname 'Mouse'. I know it connects to my nose because of the air supply and sometimes if I'm not well and I suck it snot comes down. Yeah, gross, I know. I have learned not to suck when I have a cold. Learned the hard, mucousy way.


I've never even thought to say it to a doctor or dentist, or even Google it. Shocking I know, Google being my best friend and another one of my unfortunate nicknames. So I popped it into Google just there and it turns out that I am NOT half dolphin, rather I have an 'oronasal fistula'... according to the e-doctors "an oronasal fistula is an abnormal communication between the mouth and nose". Wow, I'm abnormal. Didn't know that. Another thing I had never thought of (until my mom put the question to me) was 'Can I shoot stuff out my nose?'. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I was unable to get my Club Orange to come streaming out of my nose. Much to the relief of the staff in Wong's, I'm sure. (By the way, Wong's in Ranelagh does THE best crispy chili beef in the world. And their egg fried rice is to die for. Fact.)


I'm about to post a picture of what I assume is a pretty bad one, it's quite disgusting, and rest assured mine is so miniscule you can't even see it.... Luckily, I also possess a full mouth of teeth unlike this unlucky lady...




So this will explain to those of you (I know no-one reads my blog bar Etain, bare with me) who have been puzzled as to why I squeak when sucking lollipops, or when in deep thought. I can't find any reference to anybody else's fistula that can make noise, so I'm considering myself 'special' rather than a freak. Sure, whatever makes you feel better Lucy. If you see me out and about ask me to do it for you, it's rather entertaining. For me, at least.

2 comments:

Adam said...

I'm reading it.Sounds good.Should I try and make my own blowhole with a knitting needle and vodka? Perhaps not..

Anonymous said...

I have the SAME thing! yesss.